The following cable confirms what was long suspected, i.e., the connection between Deobandi clerics and terrorists in Pakistan and their financiers, the Arab dictators. The cable confirms that the banned Pakistani Deobandi terror outfit Sipah-e-Sahaba Pakistan (SSP, currently operating as ASWJ, an affiliate of Al Qaeda and Taliban) received financial assistance from Libyan dictator Gaddafi to carry out its routine massacres of Shias, Sunni Sufis, Ahmadis, Christians and other oppressed communities of Pakistan to implement a global Salafi Deobandi Jihadist agenda.
It may be recalled that ASWJ (aka LeJ) is an extremist Deobandi organization which was originally an off-shoot of JUI (Jamiat-e-Ulama-e-Islam), a Deobandi organization which allegedly receives lavish support from Saudi Arabia, Libya and other Arab countries. For empirical data on radicalized Deobandis’ sectarian terrorist activities in Pakistan, refer to these two articles by Dr. Murtaza Haider (published in Dawn, cross-posted by LUBP):
Dr. Haider reports that the sectarian breakdown of the arrested terrorists in Pakistan reveals that more than 90 per cent were of the Deobandi sect. An ethnic breakdown revealed that 35 per cent arrested terrorists were Pashtuns who in fact make up only 15 per cent of Pakistan’s population. The disproportionate number of Pashtun Deobandis amongst the arrested terrorists is perhaps a result of the concerted effort in the seventies and eighties by the Saudi-ISI-CIA trio to radicalise Deobandi Pashtun tribes to wage a war against the Soviet Army in Afghanistan.
The recent Wikileaks revelation may also be read in conjunction with General Pasha’s (ISI Chief) reactive statement (in response to a provocative question by a JUI leader) in Pakistan’s parliament’s in camera session (May 2011) in which he said that JUI (and some other organizations) were in receipt of financial assistance from Arab countries including Libya and Saudi Arabia. General Pasha’s statement clearly discomfited the JUI leadership.
Acting Ameer of Jamiat Ulam-e-Islam-F (JUI-F) Maulana Abdul Ghafoor Haideri denounced the Pasha’s behaviour, at an in-camera session of Parliament on Friday, as being incompatible with the Islamic religious principles. Pasha had hinted during the session that the JUI-F was receiving funds from Libya and Saudi Arabia.
In reply to Haideri’s question during Parliament’s session, Pasha had requested him not to get involved in elaborate discussions and said: “If we will discuss it, then things will go very far and everyone will come to know who has been receiving dollars from Saudi Arabia and Libya.” Haideri said his party was proud rather than ashamed of, having contacts with Libya, Saudi Arabia and other Islamic countries.
Osama bin Laden’s lover Maulana Attaur Rehman, the younger brother of Fazlur Rehman, became speechless on Friday when stunning information was revealed in the in-camera session of parliament that his party had been receiving dollars from Libya and Saudi Arabia. Upon this information, the entire hall echoed with the thumping of desks, which was the only moment when the house cheered irrespective of party affiliation and association, the sources told The News. In reply to Maulana’s question whether the Army considered them Muslims and yet the Army conducted operations in his constituency and against the OBL, who was first a Mujahid of Islam and now was an enemy, and whether the Army had turned to parliament because the big boss US was angry, the ISI director general requested him not to get involved in such discussions of history of Mujahids. “If we will discuss it, then things will go very far and everyone will come to know who has been receiving dollars from Saudi Arabia and Libya,” the DG ISI said in response to Maulana’s insistence.
All parliamentarians started thumping their desks and the Maulana in sheer embarrassment staged a walkout from the hall. However, he came back on his own after 10 minutes, the sources maintained. http://www.thenews.com.pk/TodaysPrintDetail.aspx?ID=5975&Cat=13
It is, therefore, no surprise that JUI-F’s chief is so sorrowful over the demise of his financier, the Libyan dictator Gaddafi, ironically at the hands of the Salafist Al Qaeda operatives (iss ghar ko aag lag gai ghar ke charagh se):
Maulan Fazlur Rehman said the party meeting “expressed sorrow over the killing of Libyan leader Muammar Qaddafi and demanded the United Nations conduct a criminal investigation into the matter.” Qaddafi was the only Arab leader to be considered a hurdle in the way of nefarious American designs to occupy Arab oil resources, he said.http://tribune.com.pk/story/280089/maulanas-doublespeak-denying-haqqani-presence-fazl-offers-to-negotiate-with-network/ The JUI-F leader also expressed grave concern over the killing of Libyan President Moammar Gaddafi and said that by killing Qaddafi, the US had added to the hatred against it across the world. He said the Libyan president was not killed for his 42-year-long dictatorial rule, but because he wanted to do away with the hegemony of the US dollar. “With his martyrdom, a big hurdle in the way of Israel has been removed,” he said. http://www.thenews.com.pk/TodaysPrintDetail.aspx?ID=74137&Cat=7&dt=10/24/2011
Unfortunately, but not surprisingly (thanks to Deobandi influence in Pakistani media), the said cable has been conveniently kept away from the front pages of the Pakistani and international media except a Shia website which published the complete story and also published its summary in Urdu.
Maulana XXXXXXXXXXXX shared that he had received reliable information that SSP leader Maulana Ludhianvi was on a fundraising trip to Tripoli sponsored by the Libyan government. XXXXXXXXXXXX claimed that Ludhianvi had made contact with Libyan officials in the guise of working against Iran and Shia agents in Pakistan. (Note: SSP was originally founded as a violent anti-Shia organization and has, in the past, received extensive foreign funding from a variety of Sunni states, including Saudi Arabia. End Note). According to XXXXXXXXXXXX, Ludhianvi was scheduled to return to Pakistan in “”a few days”” and was bringing with him a “”donation”” from the Libyan government valued at nearly 25 million Pakistani rupees (approximately $312,000) that XXXXXXXXXXXX was certain would be used to increase further SSP activities.
Comment: Maulana XXXXXXXXXXXX is a long-standing contact of Consulate Lahore, who visited the United States in XXXXXXXXXXXX as part of our International Visitor Leadership Program. XXXXXXXXXXXX repeatedly credits his trip to the United States and particularly his discussions with Muslim leaders there for changing his previously anti-Western views. XXXXXXXXXXXX has numerous ties within the broader Deobandi community and is well-positioned to obtain information on activities of Deobandi-linked terrorist/extremist groups such as SSP and JeM. He has not/not previously shared such extensive information with post about these groups’ activities in Faisalabad. Post believes he has done so on this occasion largely out of concern for his and other moderate Deobandi leaders’ safety if these groups expand activities in Faislabad.
197977 3/20/2009 10:51 09LAHORE54 Consulate Lahore SECRET “O 201051Z MAR 09
FM AMCONSUL LAHORE
TO SECSTATE WASHDC IMMEDIATE 3966
INFO AMEMBASSY ISLAMABAD IMMEDIATE
AMCONSUL KARACHI PRIORITY
AMCONSUL PESHAWAR PRIORITY
AMEMBASSY NEW DELHI
JOINT STAFF WASHINGTON DC
NATIONAL SECURITY COUNCIL WASHINGTON DC
SECDEF WASHINGTON DC
USCENTCOM INTEL CEN MACDILL AFB FL
AMEMBASSY TRIPOLI PRIORITY
“ “S E C R E T LAHORE 000054
E.O. 12958: DECL: 3/18/2034
TAGS: PTER, PGOV, PK
SUBJECT: SIPAH-E-SAHABA STEPS UP ACTIVITIES IN FAISALABAD
CLASSIFIED BY: Bryan D. Hunt, Principal Officer, American
Consulate Lahore, Department of State.
REASON: 1.4 (d)
(S) Summary: A well-placed Deobandi religious leader told Principal Officer in a meeting on March 18 that extremist group Sipah-e-Sahaba (SSP) was increasing its activities in the central Punjab city of Faisalabad, the province’s second largest, in collaboration with elements of the Tehrik-e-Taliban Pakistan (TTP) and a splinter group from the banned terrorist group Jaish-e-Mohammad (JeM). The cleric reported that SSP had recently launched a pamphlet campaign across the city in which it called for people to take steps to enforce Islamic law including: (1) cease business and social activities at the five daily calls to prayer, (2) remove all sources of “”vulgarity”” such as televisions, cd players, and radios from their homes, (3) seek dispute resolution through local imams rather than the courts, (4) take Friday rather than Sunday as the weekly holiday, and (4) strictly enforce purdah for female family members. The pamphlet states that it comes from SSP with support from the TTP and specifically praises “”the enforcement of Sharia in Swat”” and recommends it as a model for Faisalabad. According the religious scholar, a number of girls’ educational institutions in Faisalabad have received letters stating that if they fail to observe purdah, they could be attacked by suicide bombers. The cleric surmised that SSP activities would increase in Faisalabad on the return of its leader Maulana Ludhianvi from a Libyan-government sponsored trip to that country. End Summary.
2. (S) Leading Faisalabad-based Deobandi scholar and IVLP alumnus Maulana XXXXXXXXXXXX called on the Principal Officer on March 18 to discuss his concerns regarding what he termed as “”growing extremist activity”” in Punjab’s second-largest city Faisalabad. XXXXXXXXXXXX claimed that in the last month he has observed a dramatic increase in propaganda activities from Sipah-e-Sahaba Pakistan (SSP). He believed that this increase coincided with a number of visits to Faisalabad from activists both of the Tehrik-e-Taliban Pakistan (TTP) and a splinter group from the southern Punjab-based Jaish-e-Muhammad (JeM). XXXXXXXXXXXX believed that the activists were involved in recruiting for TTP militant operations in the FATA and NWFP through madrassas in southern Punjab and hoped to replicate that success in Faisalabad. XXXXXXXXXXXX noted that SSP leaders had long-standing ties with JeM, as both were Deobandi organizations that had collaborated in the past in anti-Shia and anti-India activities.
3. (S) XXXXXXXXXXXX shared with Principal Officer an Urdu-language sticker that he claimed he had confiscated from several of his madrassa students in Faisalabad. The sticker, which he stated was also being printed and distributed as a pamphlet, praised the implementation of Sharia law in Swat and exhorted Muslims to pursue the same sort of Sharia law in Faisalabad. It then recounted five steps that every Faisalabad based Muslim should take to begin the process of implementation in the district. The steps were: : (1) cease business and social activities at
the five daily calls to prayer, (2) remove all sources of “”vulgarity”” such as televisions, cd players, and radios from their homes, (3) seek dispute resolution through local imams rather than the courts, (4) take Friday rather than Sunday as the weekly holiday, and (4) strictly enforce purdah for female family members.
4. (S) Maulana XXXXXXXXXXXX told Principal Officer that he had initially dismissed the pamphlet campaign, but became increasingly concerned after learning of specific threats received by several girls’ schools (NFI) in Faisalabad. He claimed that these schools had received letters sent from SSP, referencing the situation in Swat, and warning that if these schools did not begin having their students observe complete purdah, the schools could be the target of violence, including suicide bombing. Maulana XXXXXXXXXXXX did not produce a copy of the threat letter. Principal Officer inquired whether any violence had yet occurred in Faisalabad in connection with the SSP campaign. Maulana XXXXXXXXXXXX responded that to his knowledge it had not, but he believed that it could occur in short order if police did not check SSP activities.
5. (S) Maulana XXXXXXXXXXXX noted that in addition to its pamphlet campaign, SSP had organized a number of traditional religious conferences in Faisalabad during the Islamic month of Rabwa (currently ongoing). Traditionally such conferences are organized in this month of the Prophet’s birth to discuss the model life that the Prophet lead and to exhort Muslims to follow his example. According to Maulana XXXXXXXXXXXX, this year during the SSP conferences, the organizers have exhorted attendees to follow the Prophet’s example and press for the adoption of complete shariah law in Faisalabad, using Swat as a model. These exhortations specifically call for action against vulgarity and women not observing purdah. In one case, Maulana XXXXXXXXXXXX claimed that he learned that leaders of the recently banned al-Rashid Trust were coming to address a March 8 SSP conference. He stated that he had informed the District Police Officer, who cancelled the event.
6. (S) Maulana XXXXXXXXXXXX shared that he had received reliable information that SSP leader Maulana Ludhianvi was on a fundraising trip to Tripoli sponsored by the Libyan government. XXXXXXXXXXXX claimed that Ludhianvi had made contact with Libyan officials in the guise of working against Iran and Shia agents in Pakistan. (Note: SSP was originally founded as a violent anti-Shia organization and has, in the past, received extensive foreign funding from a variety of Sunni states, including Saudi Arabia. End Note). According to XXXXXXXXXXXX, Ludhianvi was scheduled to return to Pakistan in “”a few days”” and was bringing with him a “”donation”” from the Libyan government valued at nearly 25 million Pakistani rupees (approximately $312,000) that XXXXXXXXXXXX was certain would be used to increase further SSP activities.
7. (S) Comment: Maulana XXXXXXXXXXXX is a long-standing contact of Consulate Lahore, who visited the United States in XXXXXXXXXXXX as part of our International Visitor Leadership Program. XXXXXXXXXXXX repeatedly credits his trip to the United States and particularly his discussions with Muslim leaders there for changing his previously anti-Western views. XXXXXXXXXXXX has numerous ties within the broader Deobandi community and is well-positioned to obtain information on activities of Deobandi-linked terrorist/extremist groups such as SSP and JeM. He has not/not previously shared such extensive information with post about these groups’ activities in Faisalabad. Post believes he has done so on this occasion largely out of concern for his and other moderate Deobandi leaders’ safety if these groups expand activities in Faislabad. The significant decline in the Pakistani textile industry and accompanying large-scale lay-offs in Faisalabad –the center of that industry in Punjab — provides groups like SSP with a ready pool of unemployed recruits, who are susceptible to these groups’ rhetoric about an Islamic utopia based on Sharia and prepared to engage in violence to bring it about. End Comment
Summary in Urdu:
کالعدم سپاہ صحابہ کو لیبیا کی تین لاکھ بارہ ہزارڈالرکی امداد۔ وکی لیکس
23 اکتوبر 2011
فیصل آباد کے ناموردیو بندی عالم دین نےلاہورمیں امریکی قونصل خانےکوبتادیا
وکی لیکس کی گوہر افشانیاں پوری آب وتاب سے جاری ہیں۔پاکستانی میڈیا وکی لیکس کے انکشافات پر مسلسل تبصرے کرتا رہتا ہے بلکہ بعض اوقات تو بال کی کھال اتارنے پر تل جاتا ہے ، لیکن حیران کن حد تک اس انکشاف کے بارے میں کسی نے بھی لب کشائی نہیں کی، اس سے بخوبی اندازہ ہوجاتاہے کہ ہمارا میڈیا کتنا آزاد اور کتنا غیر جانبدار ہے۔
وکی لیکس نے لاہور میں امریکی قونصل خانے کی ایک کیبل کو افشا کیا ہے، یہ کیبل امریکی قونصل خانے کے سابقہ پرنسپل آفیسر برائن ڈی نٹ کی جانب سے اسٹیٹ ڈیپارٹمنٹ آف امریکا کو مورخہ 20مارچ 2009ء کو بھیجی گئی۔ اس کیبل پر اسٹیٹ ڈیپارٹمنٹ کو بتایا جاتا ہے کہ ہمارے پرنسپل آفیسر برائن ڈی ہنٹ کو فیصل آباد کے نامور دیوبندی عالم دین نے 18 مارچ کو ایک میٹنگ میں بتایا ہے کہ سپا صحابہ کے سربراہ محمد احمد لدھیانوی کی لیبیا سے واپسی کے بعد سپاہ صحابہ نے فیصل آباد میں اپنی سرگرمیوں میں بہت اضافہ کر دیا ہے، سپاہ صحابہ ، جیش محمد ، اور تحریک طالبان پاکستان کے حامی گروپس کو بھی اپنے اندر جذب کر رہی ہے۔
دیوبندی عالم نے برائن ڈی ہنٹ کو یہ بھی بتایا کہ سپاہ صحابہ کے سربراہ محمد احمد لدھیانوی چندہ اور فنڈز حاصل کرنے کی مہم پر لیبیا کے شہر تریپولی گئے تھے۔ اس ٹرپ کا انتظام لیبیا کی حکومت نے کیا تھا۔مولانا صاحب نے ہنٹ کو مزید بتایا کہ مولانا محمد احمد لدھیانوی کو لیبیا کی حکومت نے 312000 امریکی ڈالر جن کی قیمت 25 ملین پاکستان روپے بنتی ہے ، ہدیہ کئے ہیں، جو جلد پاکستان پہنچ جائیں گے اور پاکستان میں سپاہ صحابہ کی سرگرمیوں میں اضافے کا باعث بنیں گے۔
برائن ڈی ہنٹ ’’ مخبر مولانا‘‘ کے تعارف میں لکھتا ہے کہ مولانا ایک لمبے عرصے سے لاہور میں ہمارے قونصل خانے کے ساتھ را بطے میں ہیں اور اسٹیٹ ڈیپارٹمنٹ امریکا کے پروگرام ’’ انٹرنیشنل وزٹرز لیڈر شپ پروگرام کے تحت امریکا کے دورے بھی کر چکے ہیں۔ یہاں پر یہ کیبل ختم ہوجاتی ہے۔ اس کیبل کی سچائی کے لئے اتنا ہی کافی ہے طرفین کی جانب سے ابھی تک کسی نے بھی اس کی تردید نہیں کی ، نہ اسٹیٹ ڈیپارٹمنٹ نے ، نہ لاہو رکے امریکی قونصل خانے نے اور نہ ہی سپاہ صحابہ نے ۔
اس کیبل میں ہونے والے دو انکشافات بہت اہم ہیں۔ ایک سپاہ صحابہ کی جانب لیبیا کی حکومت سے مدد حاصل کرنا ، دوسرا امریکی قونصلیٹ کا ہمارے نام نہاد دینی حلقوں کے اندر اپنے مخبر رکھنا۔
یہ کیبل پڑھ کر سپاہ صحابہ کے منحرف رہنما مولانا اللہ نواز بلوچ کا وہ بیان ذہن میں آرہا ہے ، جس میں انہوں نے اپنی قیادت پر الزام لگایا کہ یہ انڈین امداد پر پاکستان میں فرقہ ورانہ تشدد پھیلا رہے ہیں۔ اسی وجہ سے مولانا نے سپاہ صحابہ سے استعفی دے دیا۔
Deobandi cleric Tahir Ashrafi admits that Libya / Gaddafi supported Deobandi clerics including ASWJ-LeJ . Straight from the horse’s mouth:
[youtube id=”BtcDoNA5ilw” width=”600″ height=”340″ position=”left”]