Kamran Khan, Geo TV’s ace anchor having his show named after him, “Aaj Kamran Khan Kay Saath” is known for his end of times scenario build ups related to the PPP government’s demise. Starting from corruption stories to bad governance and support for right wing in the country, his shows begin with his diatribe against the PPP and ends with the PPP. Starting from Zardari the program has to revolve around predicting a near end scenario for the PPP.
In President Zardari’s speech on MBB’s birthday on 21st June, 2011, there were two targets: Molvi Nawaz Sharif and his support for those who are killing Pakistanis and the other was Political Actors on TV. He said “Aik din jald aye ga jub TV channels par adakar nahee, bulkay danishwar bethayn gay” which basically translated into
“Soon time will come when intellectuals will appear on TV Channels rather than political actors”.
Thankfully for the political actors, majority of his speech’s post-mortem revolved around his comments on Nawaz Sharif and the “changing political scenario”, with yet another lifeline given to political actors to paint doomsday scenarios. However, his taunt on the anchors was to get a response. Whether it was positive or negative, only time would tell
On June 29, 2011, Kamran Khan’s show was titled “Talk show’s mayn cheekh-o-pukaar, gaalam galoch, Kuch Karna Hoga” which in English means “Rowdiness and Abusive language on Talk Shows, something needs to be done”. The whole show can be seen here: http://www.awaztoday.com/playvideo.asp?pageId=15476
Though the program highlighted a very pertinent matter, but the angling on the program showed majority of those clips where PPP representatives were seen engaged with opposition politicians on mindless accusations and counter accusations.
The program clippings showed included:
- Firdous Ashiq Awan’s abusive accusations against Kashmala Tariq’s character on Javed Chaudhry’s program
- Faisal Raza Abidi against Ahmed Raza Kasuri on ZAB’s retrial – News Beat on Smaa TV
- Zulfikar Mirza and Mushahidullah – ARY’s 11th Hour
- Sharmila Farooqi’s shouting match with Chaudhry Abid Sher Ali – Kashif Abbasi’s program
- Jamil Soomro and Naeem-ul-Haq on a Business Plus program where water glass was thrown
The purpose of showing the above mentioned clips is to again give an angle against the PPP and especially those who are considered close to the PPP top leadership.
Prominent program clippings not shown in my opinion include:
- Abid Sher Ali calling Shaheed Salmaan Taseer “Ahmaq” on Kashif Abbasi’s program
- Hassan Nisar (Geo TV Anchor of program Choraha) hurling abuses on Mushahidullah of PML-N
- Ahmed Raza Kasuri hurling expletives in a Great Debate
- In a Capital Talk show in December 2010, Hamid Mir asked an “aam admi” about CNG shortage, where the “aam admi” hurled an abuse on the show at Asif Zardari, the expletive was “beeped” but anyone could understand what was said
- When Faisal Raza Abidi tore Ansar Abbasi apart over Ansar Abbasi’s false accusations that Raymond Davis was released by the PPP government and even the blood money was given by the government, thereby implying that Asif Zardari deliberately released Davis to appease the Americans.
I am sure readers can list many more programs which I may not have seen where abusive and negative character of opposition politicians could have been seen. That is why we say, our media is most unfair, biased and angles information in a certain manner to give the ruling PPP a bad name.
It would be better if Kamran Khan returned to his diatribes on “corruption” and “bad governance” than to highlight programs of his own journalistic community. It is also hoped that some day he will have courage to do a program on false and unproved accusations and dates given by his colleagues related to the removal of PPP government.
As they say, “Sharam Kar Kay Geo!”
Program clips can be seen here too: